Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
Going to rehab isn't exactly a vacation but it pays to know what to bring and what things are permitted inside the treatment facility.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be required to check in after you arrive at the rehab and begin the process for the admission. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. While other centres provide you with the checklist of what you can bring.
Only the things that you really require are allowed in the centres. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. Many centres give their future patients a packing checklist which you can refer to. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. They can also provide you the information regarding the procedure for the admission along with providing you an explanation for their policies if you have any concerns.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
The policy of every rehab centre is different, and some can be expected to be stricter than the others.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- The original bottle from the drugstore with the information label integral and your actual prescription medicine.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- Reading material you want to bring have to be about retrieval, self- help or spiritually focused.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
The Attire You Should Have With You
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
You have to bear in mind that the sizes of the rooms in the facility may not be as big as your room at home.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Clothes that are easily cleaned are the best to carry.
Some of the best type of clothing to bring along with you are
- Shoes Regular everyday shoes, sports shoes, and shower shoes.
- Shirts Ensure your shirts are in line with the dress code of your centre.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- Bathing suit Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Products Recommended For Personal Toiletries And Beauty
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. You will not be allowed to carry aerosols.
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Feminine care products
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Pornographic materials
- Food and drinks
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Peroxide agents
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Statement shirts with explicit or statements in reference to drugs, violence or substance abuse
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. During certain times, the centres itself will make the arrangements necessary to make items like these available to you.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Every rehab centre has its own policies and some may prohibit an item which is allowed at the other. While a number of things are prohibited across-the-board exceptions may be made by some facilities for the following.
- Cell phone and Laptop
- Access to these items will be restricted even if the rehab chosen by you allows these items.
- The charges should be available in case you are allowed to have one.
- Cigarettes are permitted at certain centres if you are a smoker.
- These centres usually have some restrictions regarding the number of cartons you can bring in.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing gum
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Additional Items
- You may have permission to bring your own bedding, pillows, and objects that help you feel relaxed.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. You close relative will be advised to go back with these items. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. The process becomes all the more simpler if you logon to the centre's website and save the packing checklist. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Act Now For Help
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Look for top clinics that can suite your necessities with the support of our therapy experts.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 .